As moms, we know we have to be prepared at all times for any situation that may arise. Leaving the house unprepared never ends well. I’m sure we’ve all learned that the hard way.
That means it’s important to always have a fully stocked mom purse. A bag that contains everything we need for a successful trip out of the house, wherever it may be.
But at the same time, none of us want to feel like a disorganized pack mule, right?
Plus, if you are out of the diaper bag stage, you may be excited at the thought of once again carrying a stylish purse around with you. But keep in mind, your definition of stylish should also include the word ‘BIG.’ Even though you may not need to fill it with diapers, it will still need to be able to fit many other items.
In my almost 8 years of being a mom I’ve realized that the more organized my mom purse is, the better I feel about any adventure we take. Sometimes I don’t need to access anything other than my phone or a snack, while other times I feel like it’s the Mary Poppins bag and I’m constantly pulling things from it.
So, what would be the must-have mom purse essentials?
Here is my list of 15 essential items for every mom’s purse.
- Mini First Aid Kit: A must for moms. Band-aides, Neosporin, ant-itch cream, nail clippers, a nail file, tweezers, safety pins; the list can go on and on.
- Wet Wipes/Antibacterial Wipes: Obviously these are essential if your kids are still infants, but they can be very useful even if they are out of diapers. Wipes are great for sticky hands, messy faces, or cuts and scrapes. Plus, they serve as a great way to wipe off surfaces prior to having a snack or a picnic.
- Notepad/Pens: If I don’t write stuff down, I’ll forget about it. Plus, you never know when you may need to add items to the grocery list or the to-do list.
- Snacks: Even if you feed your kids a buffet before leaving the house it never fails; they are still going to be hungry shortly after you leave. Trail mix, granola bars, applesauce pouches, goldfish crackers, veggie straws, and pea crisps are my go to purse snacks.
- Gum and/or Mints: A must-have for this mom. Peppermint or Spearmint all the way.
- Tissues/Kleenex: Runny noses and bloody noses can happen at any moment! Best to be prepared.
- Chapstick: Another must-have for me, but my daughter has also become a big fan of using Chapstick as well.
8: Facemasks for the Family: I’ve learned it’s just a good idea to have a set of these with me at all times.
9: Hair Ties/Mini Wet Brush: Whether it’s for myself, or my daughter, hair ties or scrunchies are a must. And we love the Wet Brush; the mini ones fit perfectly in a purse.
10: A Wet/Dry Bag: An influencer I follow on Instagram mentioned having a wet/dry bag and I thought it was a genius idea. Inside of it, you can keep a spare pair of underwear, socks, and clothes for any sort of accident, whether it’s a bathroom accident or something different. And then, if an accident does occur, you can put the wet or dirty clothes right into the bag.
11: Hand Sanitizer: Because germs… A quick squirt or spray is all it takes, especially when soap and water aren’t an option.
12: Cosmetics: Travel size bottles are perfect for this. You could have things like hand cream, mini deodorant, sunscreen, bug spray, and dental floss. Any sort of cosmetic item you might use while out and about.
13. Sunglasses: Another must-have for mom! And maybe your kids love wearing them too.
14. Portable Charger: Another idea I got from a fellow mom was to carry a portable charger with you, basically because phone batteries tend to die at the most inopportune times. Plus, my phone is my camera and I am always taking pictures!
15. Phone, Wallet, and Keys: You won’t be getting far without these items.
Using mesh zipper pouches to keep certain items separate can be very helpful. You could have one for cosmetics, hair ties/mini wet brush, family face masks, and your mini first aid kit. You could also use clear Ziploc bags of varying sizes as well. Whichever you use, it’s easier to be able to see through them so you know what’s inside, plus it makes it easy to switch these items to a different bag if needed.
What would your mom bag essentials be for yourself and for your little ones?
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive Cedar Rapids Moms posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms events and promotions!!