Wednesday, March 20th is the first day of spring. We’d all be lying to ourselves if we said we weren’t overly excited to say farewell to winter and hello to green grass and warmer weather. And each day, believe it or not, we inch closer and closer to just that because March has finally arrived.
To say this winter has been a rough one would be an understatement, so I’m sure I speak for many when I say the season of spring will be welcomed with wide open arms.Not only does the month of March bring us a new season, it’s also when schools close for a week giving both students and teachers a spring break. Some families take a week long trip during this break. If that’s what you and your family are planning to do, enjoy!! Others will be spending their spring break week at home. Depending on the age of your children and what their spring break schedule may be, some Moms may be looking for fun things to do with their children while others may be looking for ways to take some time for themselves during break. And some may be looking for ideas for both.
I believe I may have just the thing you need.
As a teacher, I consider myself a planner. It’s hard not to be in this line of work without those planning skills carrying over from my teacher life to my mom life. One of the best ways I’ve found to plan is to make “to-do” lists. So, what better way to plan your upcoming spring break?
Here is your 2019 Spring Break “To-Do” List…
Spring Break Ideas WITH the kids:
- The Potters’ Obsession (hours of operation varies so visit their Facebook page or call to verify)
- Twisters Gymnastics Open Gym
- Air FX (Jr. Jump for ages 6 and under)
- Sky Zone
- Take a visit to the library
- Take a class at Kidcreate Art Studio (Blairs Ferry Road)
- Day trip to Grand Harbor Waterpark in Dubuque
- Day trip to National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium in Dubuque
- Schedule a play dates with other moms and their kids who are also on spring break
- Movie theater
- Wickiup Hill Learning Center
- Indian Creek Nature Center
- Iowa Children’s Museum in Coralville
- Go to a fabric store and choose fabric to make tie blankets then either donate them, gift them to someone else, or keep them!
- Bake cookies for your neighbors
- Check out events in our Cedar Rapids Spring Event Guide
Spring Break Ideas WITHOUT the kids (a.k.a Mom Time)
- Have a coffee date with a friend
- Go out to lunch with a friend
- Take a nice hot shower or bath…uninterrupted!
- Drink an entire cup of coffee in the comfort of your living room without having to reheat it
- Go through clothes closets (both yours and your kids – this is on my list for sure)
- Organize an area of your home that doesn’t normally get much attention (for me it would be our downstairs storage area)
- Declutter (pantry, office, cupboards, drawers, etc.)
- Take a nap
- Watch anything you want on Netflix, by yourself
- Read a book, or even two!
- Prepare freezer meals
- Have a spa day
- manicure/pedicure/massage/facial or all of the above! Remember self care is very important!
Trust me. There’s no better feeling then crossing things off of a to-do list.