With the start of school comes a list of things you need to remember and plan for—paperwork, transportation, extracurricular activities, classroom parties, volunteering, and in some instances, supplying class snacks. Many schools have strict rules for what can be brought in, one of which being it has to be prepackaged. However, when that basket shows up last minute—I’m prone to grabbing something quick!
Unfortunately, quick and prepackaged does not always equal healthy. So, I put together a list of pairing ideas that are kid-friendly, prepackaged, and easy while providing nutrients past the traditional quick “snack” packages.
Quick and Healthy Pre-packaged Snacks
- Apple slices or bananas with peanut butter (be aware of any allergy requirements!)
- Fruit cups and pretzels: use applesauce, mandarin oranges, pineapple, pears, or mixed fruit
- Applesauce or fruit and veggie pouches with a string cheese
- GoGurts or small cups of yogurt with granola
- Baby carrots with ranch or another easy dip
- Crackers with cheese cubes
- Pita triangles with hummus
- Cottage cheese and fruit such as blueberries
- Fruit leather
- Kid-friendly trail mix
- Popcorn with raisins
There are so many more ideas you’ll find when you start looking. Experiment with different fruits, veggies, and dips. Guacamole, hummus, and other items may become favorites! Different stores carry different options as well; sometimes you can find fruit and veggie smoothie pouches. Sometimes there are snack packs with cheese, meat, and crackers. If you’re lucky, you can find different bars like Clif kids or KIND. I try to make it as simple and as kid-approved as possible since whatever we pack will be served to the whole class.
What are your favorite school day snacks? What rules do you have to follow for supplying them?
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive Cedar Rapids Moms posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms events and promotions!!