Who is excited about the first day of school? If your family is like mine, you probably have a mix of excitement, sadness, and even (especially?) anxiety.
I’ve been sending kids off to school for twelve(!) years now, and though some parts don’t get easier, we have definitely found some fun traditions that make that first day back special. I’ll share mine along with some other fun ideas I’ve bookmarked over the years.
Here are some awesome ways to celebrate the first day of school:
For all kids:
- Take the first day of school picture. I know some people roll their eyes at this, but as my kids get older, I truly treasure looking back on their pictures from years past and seeing how they have changed. Pair this with the last day of school picture and it’s even more fun to see the changes over just a year!
- Welcome them home with a special treat. I make Extra Large Chocolate Chip Cookies for each of my kids. Though they all get home at different times now, it allows me a few minutes to talk to them about their day while they enjoy a delicious cookie.
- Consider a special Back to School Dinner. Though I sometimes do this the night before, we love the opportunity to set some goals for the year and just remind them of the things that are really important: kindness and growth, not straight A’s or perfect attendance.
- Or, do a Back to School Breakfast! This would be fun to do the weekend before school starts.
For younger kids:
- This Back to School Interview Questionnaire is such a fun keepsake. It’s so much fun to look back on these from years past. An alternative idea is to record your kids answering each of these questions each year!
- The First Day of School Fairy can drop off a fun school supply with a little note on the first day!
- Include one of these First Day of School Lunch Box Notes in your child’s lunch to let them know you’re thinking of them!
- Read the book First Day Jitters, then make up some Jitter Juice to drink together. Help them know they’re not alone in feeling nervous! Here’s a great list of First Day books!
- Don’t forget to take your own “First Day of School” picture too. I like to take a selfie in my sunnies, lounging on the deck.
Others may want a 3567th Day of Work picture to be shared along with your kids’ school pics!
- First kid in all-day school? Or your last? Put on a “Boo-hoo Breakfast” for other moms in the same position! Heck, I like to do this even though my kids have all been in school for years, just to celebrate!
This year might be crazy (again!), but these ideas will help the first day at least be a great one!
What other fun first day of school traditions do you have with your family?
Make sure you never miss out on a parenting or community-related blog post: sign up to receive Cedar Rapids Moms posts in your inbox. While you’re at it, join our VIP List to ensure you’re one of the first to know about upcoming Cedar Rapids Moms events and promotions!!